Monday, November 19, 2012

To Write Or Not To Write...could be an Obsession.

"Anything Goes"

I never considered myself to be a writer. I am more of an idea guy. A human think tank. I seem to have an endless supply of ideas for stories, comics, music and songs, screenplays, children's books and so on. My mind never seems to rest. It might be considered a curse. Sometimes it drives my wife crazy. But my kids love having a source of creative feedback for their school projects and writing assignments.

My first stab at writing was in high school many years ago. I was in drama class. Yes, I was a Thespian. Our drama department always entered into festivals and competitions with other schools in California. These festivals were amazing. I have never felt enthusiasm and electricity type creativity like I did at these festivals. It was unreal. Well, one year, my drama teacher asked who was going to enter. It was always the same type catagories that were entered. Monologues and Scenes from various plays and musicals. There was one category that caught my eye. It was called "Anything Goes". It was explained just as it sounds....write your own scene, monologue or short story to act out on stage.



So, without thinking, I raised my hand and volunteered to spearhead an entry for "Anything Goes." This was actually the first entry from our school in this category in 15 years, but I was wreckless enough to take a chance. My first task was to get some victims, I mean actors, to help me with my endeavor. The results were "pure magic." We came up with a script that was under 10 minutes that was so funny, not to mention a blast writing and performing it.

The day came when we would perform it for the class. It was a huge hit. So much so, that we were asked to perform it for the entire school. And it didn't stop there. We were asked to perform it on a couple occasions at some more school activities. Then the day came when we took it to the festival. We performed it in small classrooms in front of a panel of judges. If you got a high score, you kept performing it over and over until you made it to the finals. It was essentially a process of elimination.

Needless to say, our little group made it all the way to the finals. I think we placed 3rd place, which was a pretty neat accomplishment. I guess that was the start of me wanting to write. Not necessarily write, but pull a project/ idea together and make it happen.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Cult Gang"

"Scrawny Johnny"

About this time, I started a comic called "The Cult Gang" which was just a dumb comic about me and my friends. I drew all of us as caricatures in our daily school life. It was pretty lame, but my friends and family enjoyed it. The comic progressed to focus on one of my best friends. He was actually one of the weirdest guys that I ever knew. I avoided him when we first met. He was way beyond weird. It was mostly the way he looked. Big lips, gapped teeth, beady little eyes, and a flat top haircut. He was also very skinny. I knew that he was destined to become a cartoon character. A caricature. But as I came to know him, he really became one of my closest friends. I have so many awesome memories with him from high school. He was a star in my eyes. He was the starring role if my comic called, "Scrawny Johnny".

* I heard that Johnny has passed away. He died at such a young age. (in his late 20's). I'll never forget him. Maybe one day, for old times, I'll bring him back. You never know?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Finding Freedom: The Musical"

Years later, I wanted to try writing a musical called, "Finding Freedom". My first script was kind of slapstick with an over the top comedic tone. I changed it up towards a more serious tone. My brother and I wrote the music and songs. I hired my friend to help me put the songs on paper. It was really a rough beginning, but I was determined to finish it.



I sent the script and music in the Ensign / Church Office for a contest they were having. Out of 430 scripts, a dozen scripts were chosen to be performed in a readers theater at the Assembly Hall on Temple Square. My script was one that was chosen. Boy, talk about an exciting time!


We were invited to a special luncheon in the Joseph Smith Memorial building where they took our photos, presented to us "The Deseret Acheivment Award",(everyone selected received the same award) and had us sign a non exclusive contract. This was a very exciting time for us...but more than anything, I felt a great desire to keep producing, and developing ideas. This was just the beginning for me.




I hired a professional music producer, a bunch of singers and musicians, and in 2005, we went into the studio and recorded the 17 song soundtrack to "Finding Freedom". I also hired a professional music transposer to make the sheet music. So, currently, I now have all the songs in sheet music form, a cd of minus tracks, and the full soundtrack. I revised the script from a stage play to a screenplay/ musical. Currently, this is where the project sits until I decide how to move forward with the project again.

It takes money to make ideas happen....sad, but true.


To be continued......



No comments:

Post a Comment